Is there any argument that the whole 'suspiciously no homo but pushing the boundaries to an insane degree' thing isn't Nick and Parca's general running joke on commentary? I would've thought that'd be the one thing not up for debate unless we're really gonna split hairs on what's a running gag, what's an inside joke, etc

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any argument that the whole 'suspiciously no homo but pushing the boundaries to an insane degree' thing isn't Nick and Parca's general running joke on commentary? I would've thought that'd be the one thing not up for debate unless we're really gonna split hairs on what's a running gag, what's an inside joke, etc

How is it an inside joke if everyone has the same context. No one has more context than anyone else.

And we've arrived in splitting hairs territory, my point wasn't about who is and isn't 'in on the joke', it's got the same meaning if you replace 'in-joke' with 'running gag'

There’s plenty of running gags in OCW though. Every time I’m in a match with commentary Jake says I’m from queens that’s a running gag is it not?

I mean, I'm sure if you told him you were uncomfortable with it/you felt it was undermining your character a bit and you'd prefer to try a different approach Jake might be receptive? I'm not sure how constructive criticism about commentary became an entire discourse, surely when several people are saying the same thing, it's something worth taking on board, or at least reflecting on, rather than have people spring to their defense and make a big thing out of something we'll probably forget about by the next show
  • Mark Out! 2

I want to preface the following by saying this is my two cents on the matter. This is not responding to anyone in particular, or representing anyone's view but my own.

There were three jokes between me and Brian during the whole video. One was near the end of Baxter's entrance and followed up with "there's nothing sexier than this main event", one was following a reversal at the beginning of the match that Parca did not respond to, and one was during the sign-off. Only one joke during the match, a short quip. It was by no means the entire commentary, and in my opinion it did not take away from either of the competitors.

We spent what I felt was sufficient time discussing the recent history of the competitors and putting them over as legitimate threats. Could we do better? Hell yeah! I sometimes think that I'm too repetitive, and I'm sure I could find other complaints.

The discussion of "is this something that belongs on commentary" is a fair one to have. To say it overshadowed the whole match, now I take issue with that.

• Mark Out! 6

Solomon Caine, Harris Turner, and Roy Brown

1x CCW International Champion, as Solomon Caine

1x OCW Light Heavyweight Champion, as Solomon Caine

2nd Place, 2021 S-Cup Tournament, as Harris Turner

http://ocwfed.tv/miscpics/Kass_event_badge_2020.png